Subject Access Requests
Course at a glance
- 15 mins
About the course
Your organisation collects information about individuals (called 'personal data').
Under the Data Protection Act, individuals (data subjects) have the right to find out what information is kept about them.
This process is commonly referred to as a subject access request.
Sounds simple, but its not always the case.
In fact, subject access requests make up the majority of complaints the Information Commissioner's Office receives. Monetary punishment and criminal prosecution mean the perils of dealing incorrectly with subject access requests can be very serious
This course will give you an overview of the subject access request process and help you and your organisation avoid becoming just another statistic by exploring some of the more common pitfalls around subject access requests.
- Subject Access Requests Explained - In a nutshell, an individual has the right to three things: to be told whether any personal data is being processed; to be given a description of the personal data, the reasons its being processed, and whether it will be given to any other organisations or people; and they are entitled to be given a copy of the information comprising the data, along with details of its source (where this is available)
- What is Personal Data? - 'Personal data' is information which relates to and identifies a living individual, either on its own, or when combined with other information held by the 'data controller'.
- Timescales and Fee - Organisations are entitled to apply a fee to undertake a search in respect of a subject access request.
- Is the Request Valid?- For a subject access request to be valid it should be made in writing.
- Responding to a SAR - In all cases, before responding to a subject access request: make sure that the request was made in writing; be certain of the identity of the person making the request and their current contact details; ensure you are sufficiently clear about the information being sought; and check that a fee has been paid (if you intend to request fee payment).
Who is it For?
Employees responsible for responding to subject access requests.
The interactive course includes animated explainer videos, characterful voice-over and easy to read slides. At the end of the course, youll find a short quiz. Its designed to help you understand the key insights and takeaways from the topic.