Problem Solving for Decision Makers
This course contains the following 5 modules on the following:
Decision Making: In this module you’ll look at process designed to help you to evaluate all the alternatives precisely and specifically, and then make the right decision.
Making Sense of Information: In this module you will look at how to process the information you have gathered and build a picture of the situation represented in that information.
Presenting the Solution: In this module you will examine good ways of formatting information to make it as clear as possible for yourself and for others.
Problem Analysis: In this module you will investigate the tools and techniques for problem analysis and a systematic method for getting to the causes of problems quickly.
Recognising Problem: In this module you will investigate the types of problems we encounter in a management context and typical barriers that prevent us recognising and solving problems. You’ll also investigate a systematic approach to analysing and solving problems and discover some techniques for recognising potential problems.
- Be able to define objectives
- Understand the decision-making procedure
- Be able to conduct a risk analysis
- Know how to prepare for making the decision
- Understand how to make the decision
- Know how to follow up your decision
Making Sense of Information:
- Know the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative information
- Be able to check your understanding of the information you have gathered
- Know the importance of creating and testing hypotheses
- Know the difference between proactive and reactive problem solvers
- Understand how to use various tools for examining problems
Presenting the Solution:
- Understand how to present information in different ways
- Know how best to present simple information
- Understand how to present complicated data in the best way
- Know how to analyse problems
- Learn a method for finding causes quickly
- Understand the problem solving funnel
- Learn some useful questions to ask to understand the problem
- Know how to identify differences
- Be able to identify possible causes
- Understand what action to take
- Be able to recognise various problems
- Understand how to solve everyday problems
- Adopt a systematic approach to recognising and solving problems
- Know some typical barriers to problem solving
- Understand the difference between bounded and unbounded problems
- Be able to write a problem statement
Decision Making: 30 Minutes
Making Sense of Information: 30 Minutes
Presenting the Solution: 15 Minutes
Problem Analysis: 30 Minutes
Recognising Problem: 30 Minutes