Our biases are influenced by our background, cultural environment and personal experiences.
Unconscious bias refers to a bias of which we are not in conscious control. It happens automatically and is triggered by our brains making quick judgments and assessments of people and situations without us realising.
What you'll learn
This Ready to Go course is aimed at all levels of staff and will help you:
- Define what the term unconscious bias means
- Define what the term confirmation bias means
- Describe why unconscious bias happens
- Explain the positive and negative impacts of unconscious bias
- Explain the purpose of the Equality Act 2010 and how it applies to you
- Recognise your own unconscious biases, so you can challenge your initial judgements.
Please note that this course counts as two units.